What is registration and why is it important?
The California Code of Regulations for Addiction Counselor Certification requires that anyone working in a state licensed AOD facility providing clinical services must register within 6 months of beginning work (this includes volunteers and paid interns). Registration with an Addiction Counselor certifying organization is what makes you legal to provide clinical services while obtaining your internship hours in the initial certification process.
CAADE suggests that you register as soon as you begin your practicum or fieldwork class (Counselor regulations require everyone to register within 6 months of beginning to volunteer, intern, or work in any licensed facility). Once you pass the CATC exam you will receive an internship number as a CATC-i and will be considered a registered Intern. You must become certified within 5 years of registering in the state.
Steps For Registering With CAADE:
1) Find the right registration for you. CAADE offers three different types of registration, specific to the applicant's Addiction Studies education and where they are in the initial certification process. You can find descriptions for each registration type below.
2) Fill out the application. All of the applications can be opened by clicking on the bright red links in the Registration Forms section further down this page. They can be filled out electronically as a fillable PDF or printed and completed manually.
**Please note that by signing any of our registration forms, you are agreeing to abide by CAADE's Code of Ethics, Scope of Practice, and Uniform Code of Conduct**. We advise that you review these forms carefully but you do not need to send these forms with your application.
3) Pay the registration fee. Fees can be paid online on this page by using the PayPal shopping carts provided for each registration type. Debit and credit cards are also accepted through PayPal, you do not need to have a PayPal account to pay online. If you opt to pay online, please include a copy of your PayPal receipt with your application. You can also pay by check or money order made payable to "CAADE". A $35 fee is assessed for returned checks.
4) Include any additional required documents. This only applies to those registering with CAADE for the first time.
- For initial Student Registration, you will need to include a copy of your unofficial transcripts that clearly show enrollment in a CAADE accredited ADS Program.
- For initial Individual Registration, you will need to include proof of completion for a 9 hour AOD Laws & Ethics Orientation. This orientation is required by all CA certifying organizations as of March 1, 2014. More information about the 9 hour requirement can be found below.
5) Send the application, documents, and fee to us. Applications may be submitted by email, fax or regular mail.
Please only submit your application one time via one method. Multiple submissions create delays in processing.
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be scanned and attached (PDF format only. Pictures of applications will not be accepted.)
- Fax to: (562) 275-3494
- Mail to: CAADE Office, 5230 Clark Ave., Suite 1, Lakewood, CA 90712
**Important, Please Read**
- CAADE must receive your application via email, fax or regular mail in order for it to be processed. Registration cannot be completed directly through this website.
- Paying the registration fee online alone does not register you. All required documentation must be received in order to be processed.
- Lapses in registration will be noted both in our database as well as on this website. Be sure to renew your registration on time!
- Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing. Due to the volume of applications we handle, we are unable to expedite processing under any circumstances.
Student Registration is open to individuals enrolled in, or who have completed, a CAADE accredited/approved Alcohol/Drug Studies Program and have NOT yet passed the CATC exam.
- For initial Student Registration, please include a copy of unofficial transcripts that clearly show enrollment in a CAADE accredited ADS program.
- Beginning April 1, 2015, those attending select addiction studies programs may register with CAADE as students. These programs include:
- UCLA Extension
- CSU Dominguez Hills
- Loyola Marymount University
- ICDC College
- InterCoast College
- Crescent College
- Centaur College
- The Training Institute for Addictions Counselors
They will however be required to complete the 9 hour Laws & Ethics Orientation in order to ensure that all of CAADE's registrants are educated to the state of California's regulations and law in regards to addiction specific counseling. This requirement will remain in effect until each program has been individually and formally approved as a CAADE Career Track Program.
The CATC-i is an individual who has passed the CATC Exam and is completing clinical hours towards their initial certification.
Individual Registration is open to those individuals who:
1. did not complete their ADS education at a CAADE accredited/approved school and wish to certify with CAADE through the equivalency process or;
2. who are not attending or have not attended a CAADE approved/accredited school and would like to legally complete clinical hours towards their initial CATC certification; or
3. who are no longer students and wish to be registered in order to legally complete their clinical hours for certification.
*Beginning March 1, 2014, prior to registering with CAADE, all individuals not enrolled in a CAADE accredited Addiction Studies Program shall complete a nine (9) hours orientation course consisting of:
- Three (3) hours of ethics
- Three (3) hours of professional boundaries
- Three (3) hours of confidentiality
CAADE pre-registrants who are not enrolled in a CAADE accredited program must take the orientation course with an approved provider. The nine hours of education specified in the orientation course do not count toward fulfillment of the CAADE accredited program.
(Enter code ceus4caade at checkout to save 10%!)