- What are the qualifications for taking the CATC exam?
- Do I need to complete all of my internship hours before I can take the CATC exam?
- How can I prepare for the exam?
- I am ready to take the CATC exam, what do I do?
- What’s the next step after I pass the exam?
If you have earned your certificate of completion from a CAADE approved college program (or have met the requirements for one of the Tiers or equivalent), then you are eligible to take this exam.
No. You may take the exam as soon as you have met the educational requirements.
CAADE offers various Exam Prep workshops to help our members prepare for the exam. To find upcoming workshops, click here.
The CATC exam is based off the TAP 21 Addiction Counseling Competencies as required by the state of California. For additional study materials, CAADE offers the Intervention, Treatment, and Recovery: A Practical Guide to the TAP 21 Addiction Counseling Competencies which provides a detailed review of the TAP 21 counseling competencies, including practice exercises and worksheets along with links to additional resources.
Complete and submit the Exam Eligibility Form, be sure to include proof of completion of a CAADE college program.
Fill out and mail the CATC Exam application
- CAADE members do not send fees with application.
- Non-members pay $100 non-refundable processing fee payable to CAADE.
Please allow 7-10 days for review. Once your application is approved, the CAADE office will contact you with final instructions for calling Comira to set up your exam date and to pay the $135 exam fee (as of January 1, 2014).
You will receive a CATC-Intern certificate approximately 2 weeks after you pass the exam.