Equivalency Evaluation/Credit Summary

If you did not complete a CAADE-accredited addiction studies program, you may qualify for equivalency if you meet certain minimum educational requirements as set forth by CAADE and the Addiction Counselor Certification Board of California. 

Note: CAADE accepts degrees in:

  • Addiction Studies
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Counseling
  • Human Services
  • Anthropology
  • Criminal Justice
  • Nursing
  • Other clinical degrees from REGIONALLY ACCREDITED college/universities (no exceptions)

for our advanced tiers, in alignment with the SAMHSA Career Ladder and the National Addiction Studies Accreditation Committee (NASAC) guidelines. You will find a list of regional accrediting organizations at http://www.chea.org/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=38&MenuKey=mainPlease verify that the college or university you attended is accredited by one of the organizations listed on the Directory of Regional Accrediting Organizations.

Possible additional units of addiction coursework for individuals who hold a degree in a related field and wish to become certified with CAADE

  • Drugs and Society OR Physiological Effects of Drugs and Alcohol
  • Family & Addiction
  • Intervention, Treatment and Recovery (Treatment of Substance Abuse—clinical focus)
  • Co-Occurring Disorders
  • Group Counseling (experiential)
  • Ethics (specific to addiction counseling)
  • Fieldwork or direct experience with AOD clients


The Training Institute for Addiction Counselors (nextdoor to the CAADE Office) has a CAADE track which can be individualized for students who need specific courses to meet CAADE equivalency. Click here to get more information.


Equivalency Application

Pay Equivalency Fee here with Paypal or with Credit Card: